Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2007

In which our heroine has a bit of nerves...

Being entirely due to the fact that next week I have my first Book Talk. Eeek! I can talk your ear off about a book one-on-one, but in front of a group of people staring at me? It's like my auditioning nightmares come to life. Wish me luck.

Yesterday the University dedicated a bust in the Wells Library in honor of Herman B Wells, former president and chancellor of the University. It is easy to see how Dr. Wells could be so well loved by an entire university. He dressed up as Santa during the holidays, walked the grounds and actually signed every single diploma for every student during his tenure as president. Over 65,000. Wow. I only wish I could have had the opportunity to meet Dr. Wells, but as I enter the library every day from now on, his jolly smile will be there to greet me like a kindly grandfather figure. I can only hope that our new President McRobbie will take this to heart. Perhaps we cannot expect him to sign each of our hard earned diplomas, but I hope he inspires the same level of admiration and respect that Herman Wells did. It is said that Dr. Wells thought of every student, faculty and staff member as his family and the university as his home. Lets hope that we can live up to his expectations as he watches over the 6,000 students who pass through the library every day.

No comments: